Israel Continues to Garner 80% Support from Voters Over Hamas
The November Harvard CAPS / Harris Poll reveals that a majority of American voters support Israel and President Joe Biden’s policy towards it, with 66% of voters believing Biden should continue to back Israel. The poll also shows that 63% of voters feel the need to own a gun due to increased crime concerns. Despite potential conviction threats, former President Donald Trump continues to lead in the GOP primary field and the general election match-up against Biden.
TWO-THIRDS OF VOTERS WANT BIDEN TO BACK ISRAEL NOT WITHDRAW SUPPPORT
TRUMP LEADS BIDEN IN US PRESIDENTIAL RACE
63% OF VOTERS WANT GUNS DUE TO RISING CRIME FEARS
NEW YORK and CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov. 20, 2023 — Stagwell (NASDAQ: STGW) has released the November Harvard CAPS / Harris poll results, a collaboration between Harvard’s Center for American Political Studies and the Harris Poll and HarrisX.
President Joe Biden’s approval rating is at 45% with positive economic sentiment. The poll also explores public views on Israel, crime, abortion, and the 2024 US election. Key findings here.
“Support for Israel and President Biden’s Israel policy is strong among American voters. Misinformation on Israel and Hamas is prevalent among younger people,” said Mark Penn, Stagwell Chairman and CEO. “Biden’s Israel policy could help him win swing voters, while Democrats continue to win elections on abortion as the party of personal freedom.”
ECONOMIC OUTLOOK IMPROVES SLIGHTLY
- 42% of voters think the US economy is strong now, highest since February 2023.
- 30% say their personal finances are improving, up 6 points from July.
- 47% are optimistic about their life next year, up 4 points from last month.
ISRAEL HAS MAJORITY SUPPORT FROM VOTERS
- 80% of voters support Israel over Hamas.
- 61% of voters back Israel until Hamas is defeated and hostages are released.
- 78% support Israel’s call for daily 4-hour ceasefires, but 51% were unaware.
VOTERS APPROVE BIDEN’S ISRAEL POLICY
- 66% of voters want Biden to support Israel rather than withdraw support.
- 65% of voters back the $14 billion aid package to Israel.
- 63% of voters think Biden is doing enough to shield Palestinian civilians.
MISINFORMATION ON HAMAS AND ISRAEL AMONG YOUNG VOTERS
- 81% of voters think Hamas uses civilians as human shields.
- 78% of voters see Hamas as an authoritarian ruler.
- 69% of voters view Israel as a democracy.
- 51% of young voters believe Israel allows gay people to live openly; 45% think Hamas does the same.
6-WEEK ABORTION BAN UNPOPULAR
- 59% of voters say women should decide on abortion for any reason up to 6 weeks of pregnancy.
- 39% of voters want Congress to pass a law guaranteeing access similar to Roe v. Wade.
AMERICANS WANT MORE LAW ENFORCEMENT AS CRIME CONCERN RISES
- 63% of voters believe owning a gun is necessary for self-defense.
- 83% of voters think shoplifting laws should be strictly enforced.
TRUMP LEADS DESPITE POTENTIAL CONVICTION
- Trump leads the GOP primary with 67% support and leads Biden in the general election by 6 points.
- Voters are split on whether Trump will be convicted; 89% of Trump supporters would still vote for him if convicted.
- 63% of Trump supporters say they may vote for someone else.
The November Harvard CAPS / Harris poll was conducted online in the US on November 15-16, 2023, among 2,851 registered voters by The Harris Poll and HarrisX. Follow the Harvard CAPS Harris Poll podcast at https://www.markpennpolls.com/.
The Harris Poll is a global consulting and market research firm that reveals modern society’s authentic values to inspire leaders. HarrisX, a technology-driven market research and data analytics company, conducts research in the US and globally on behalf of various organizations.
The Harvard Center for American Political Studies (CAPS) fosters the interdisciplinary study of US politics. More information at https://caps.gov.harvard.edu/.
CONTACT: Sarah Arvizo: [email protected]
SOURCE Stagwell Inc.
Read More US Political News